9.22.2012

Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter, by Seth Grahame-Smith

Abraham Lincoln:
Vampire Hunter
Yes, I finally read it. When I've mentioned this to friends and family and they ask me how it was, I always end up replying, "Well, it was better than I expected." I've read a few of the mash up novels, enough to know that the quality is highly variable. I didn't have particularly high expectations for this one, but I did enjoy reading it. Seth Grahame-Smith's Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter writes a hidden history behind the actual Lincoln's life, complete with Photoshopped historic photographs (possibly my favorite parts of the book).

Most of the action takes place before Lincoln's election to the presidency. As I read Grahame-Smith's account, I had to keep checking Wikipedia to read the real biographies of Lincoln, Mary Todd Lincoln, John Seward, and a dozen others--which I always enjoy. The plot revolves around Lincoln's drive for revenge against vampires for murdering his mother. As he slashes his way across the midwest with his trusty ax, Lincoln discovers that vampires are exploiting slavery in a bid to eventually take over the entire country.

That's pretty much it for plot, actually. There are a lot of great fight scenes and plenty of dramatic tension (apart from knowing that Lincoln himself can't die until 1865). It wasn't a bad way to pass the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.