5.21.2013

A renowned easy target

Ever since Dan Brown's Inferno came out, I've sensed that book critics have been sharpening their metaphorical knives to take this book down. It's almost like the movie critics when the Twilight movies came out. Just in the week since it came out, I've found two absolutely hilarious take downs:
I've read both Angels and Demons and The Da Vinci Code, and was entertained by them. (At least the first time. The second time through The Da Vinci Code I couldn't get past all the expository dialog and clichés.*) Aside from the flaws in the books, I think what makes people want to make fun of Dan Brown and his creations so much is the perceived pretension. I've enjoyed the literary burns.

But people read him. Whenever my library's director gives me a hard time for buying graphic novels, my response is similar: they get people to read them. It's the same with the Twilight books. No matter how much Brown and Meyer might offend my bookish tastes, at least people are reading. And that's what matters, right?

Grr. Argh.

__________

* Rebecca Joines Schinsky at BookRiot has a list of clichés and Brown-isms she expects to see in her post, "Dan Brown's Inferno by the Numbers."

2 comments:

  1. Our library is part of a Consortium. Maybe we're evil. *Adjust monocle*

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're not supposed to tell people!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.