5.09.2013

Dead Ever After, by Charlaine Harris

Dead Ever After
I don't normally review series books after the first one, but I have to make an exception for Dead Ever After, by Charlaine Harris. It's the last book of a thirteen book series. I'm going to try and do it without spoilers for the folks who haven't finished it; after all, it only came out on Tuesday.

Because Dead Ever After is the last book, you know it's going to wrap things up, The question for most readers, judging by the anxious and angry comments I've seen for this book on GoodReads and Amazon, is whether it ends the way you want it to. Does Sookie end up with the guy you wanted her to end up with? Most of the other loose ends have already been tied up. But this book isn't all about endings. Harris actually brings up new business in this book.

Dead Ever After doesn't pick up where the last book ended. Instead, Harris shows us the perspective of some new enemies. (As though our intrepid heroine didn't have enough enemies.) We don't meet up with Sookie until after the prologue. Before too many more pages have passed, we see Sookie arrested for murder. It's heartwarming to see how many of her friends and allies show up to try and help her. By this point, after thirteen books, you might think that a series would be running out of steam. But Harris still has a few tricks up her sleeve and I rather enjoyed the twists in this tale.

I'm not going to reveal who Sookie ends up with, because I don't want to get blasted into oblivion by the rabid fans of this series. But I will say that it fit when I reflected back on the previous twelve books. I know a lot of readers are not going to agree with me. Even Harris knew that, judging by what she wrote in the dedication. I like that she stuck to her guns and her original plan. I suspect that the readers who don't like the ending didn't see Sookie the way I see her. I don't read her the same way that I read Bella Swan, as a reader's version of a Mary Sue. Sookie has always had a personality. She's tenacious and knows her own mind and I've always liked that about her.

I'm going to miss spending time with Sookie, because I've enjoyed the books a lot. However, series can't last forever without loosing what made them special and interesting in the first place. Harris is taking the series out on a high note--regardless of what other readers might think.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.