7.28.2013

The Unholy, by Paul DeBlassie

I received a free copy of this ebook to review from NetGalley, on behalf of the publisher. It's expected publication date is 1 August 2013.

The Unholy
I was intrigued by the description I read on NetGalley of The Unholy by Paul Deblassie. It's set in an alternate version of Mexico called Aztlan, where medicine women really have magic and demons are real. Since it wasn't a vampire/werewolf and strangely alluring woman story, I asked to read the book. But if you read my post last night about editing, you probably know what I'm going to say in this review. While this book had an interesting and original setting, it was overwritten. The dialog was often cliched or unnaturally phrased. The villain was extremely evil, almost too evil to be believed. As I read The Unholy, I mentally editing it. 

Here's the story in a nutshell: Claire Sanchez, who witnessed her mother's murder twenty years ago, is now a natural therapist for a church run psychiatric hospital. She uses tea, massage, and a certain amount of woo to help the patients. When one of her patients runs off into the desert around the hospital and is later found dead, Claire decided to investigate the local archbishop because he made her medicine woman spidey senses tingle. DeBlassie also gives us that archibishop's perspective and there's no doubt that Anarch is the murderer. DeBlassie also makes it clear that Anarch is possessed by something malevolent. The archbishop plays a cat and mouse game with Claire because, not only does he want to kill her for investigating the murder, he wants to kill her because he has a vendetta against medicine women.

I'm not exactly sure why I kept reading this book, other than to say I was hooked by the setting. When so many of the nouns have multiple adjectives, you can't help but see the scene laid out for you. DeBlassie set up an interesting battle between native good and imported evil. Some readers might enjoy this, but I don't think many people are going to get into this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.