8.09.2013

Next

Except Twilight. I regret that.
Between the semesters, I take a week off. When I tell people this, they always ask where I'm going and what I'm planning on doing. It's like they don't know me at all. People, I will be reading for a week solid. Maybe I should start telling them I'm going on a tour of Middle Earth, Narnia, Hogwarts, etc. Of course, that's not really true. The truth is I have no idea what I'm going to read next. I have no idea from one book to another what I'm going to read.

It all depends on what mood I'm in, you see.

It's weird how interested people are in what I'm planning on reading. I have a pile of books by my bed side and about 140+ books marked as "to read" on GoodReads. It's not that I lack things to read, it's that I believe that you shouldn't have to read something just because of the order you noticed it. (Although, that would make for a really interesting reading list, given the number of book reviews I read. I'd be jumping genres like Frogger.) I wonder if it's a holdover from my undergraduate days. I dislike being told what to read. I like to make my own choices.

The bed side book pile. With obligatory cat.

The impetus behind this post was a list of books a coworker handed to me the day after I announced my reading vacation plans. Since this coworker out ranks me, it feels like getting a syllabus in a way. The books on the list are interesting. I'd already read a couple of them. But, and here I'm thinking in my whiny voice, I already have so many books to read!

I suspect part of the problem is that when someone gives me a list of books that I ought to read, the part of my brain that was conditioned to life as an English major tells me that I'll have to do a book report. Then there's the ever present chance that I won't like the recommended books. It's so hard, so awkward, to tell someone you didn't like some of their favorite books.

The situation is so fraught for me that I feel like that guy who tweets about social faux pas that only the English experience. Did Emily Post ever write about what to do here?

You know what? Screw it. I'm going to read the books I picked.

(I'll get around to the list eventually.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.