1.18.2014

A reader resolves

A reader with goals. (Artist unknown.)
I was never good about making New Year's resolutions. I can understand the impulse, of course, but after the indulgences of the Christmas holiday it's hard to muster any kind of willpower. This is the second lazy weekend of January I've started off doing nothing but reading and putting off chores. However, I may have stumbled onto the kind of resolution I can keep: reading resolutions.

Normally, my only reading goal is to read more books than I did the previous year. That's it. I read what I feel like at the moment, sometimes making an effort to change genres to make sure I'm reading the books I get from NetGalley and libraries in a timely manner. I constantly add books to my to-read list on Goodreads and then let them languish while I read other things.

Peter Damien's post for GoodReads about "repairing his reading habits" has spurred me to scrounge up some willpower and make some resolutions. Damien has resolved to read more genre fiction, resume working on his reading journal, and has created a to-read pile that he's going to stick to. As with other resolutions, they're small and manageable--and more likely to work because of it.

Here are my resolutions:
  1. I will read one classic novel per month. I'm defining classes as critically acclaimed works from before 1950. Anything after that is too new to be considered a classic, I think.
  2. I will start using my own reading journal again. I feel my reviews and posts have gotten sloppy lately. 
  3. I will read at least two novels from my to-read list on GoodReads per month and try to whittle it down a bit. 
  4. And, of course, I will read more novels than I did last year. 
I hope I succeed at keeping these. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.