4.19.2014

Preview of coming attractions; Or, the book trailer

I just watched the trailer for a book I read only a few week's ago, Ayalet Waldman's Love and Treasure. Here's the trailer:



I've been seeing more and more book trailers produced in the last few years. But I have to wonder if they're the right way to advertise new books. Can you really capture the essence of a book in a short video? The trailer for Love and Treasure does give you a very, very brief snapshot of what the book is about. I feel I understood the trailer better because I've actually read the book.

Book reviews have been the best way for me to find new things to read. Publisher's Weekly, Library Journal, and Booklist all have sections about upcoming books and I've been known to browse the Barnes and Noble website for books that will be published in the next half year. In a review, I can learn the gist of a book's plot plus what a reader thought of it. Ignore bad reviews by readers who don't like what I like in books. The system has worked well so far.

Of course, I could just be whining about this because I'm not a video person. I'm a word nerd. Unless the video is spectacular, I get bored waiting for it to get to the point.

5 comments:

  1. I'm not a fan of book trailers, and some of them are either very strange or badly produced effectively putting me off a book I wanted to read otherwise. Sometimes they work well with material (I'm thinking of Night Film). I have gathered them and shown them in my teen groups and crickets could be heard in the room. The kids just don't care. Now movie trailers...that gets the opposite reaction (they wont STOP talking about The Fault in Our Stars newest trailer). Along the same lines, I wanted to tell you about what I remembered while reading your post. Two or three years ago, Borders (remember them?) put out a commercial for the holiday season. It was wonderful and made me cry. It featured every day people, at work, on the commute, eating lunch talking to their friends, but it was what they were saying. Conversations like, "So Stephanie Plum said...." and "Harry reached for his wand..." etc mentioning fictional characters and plots. I remember thinking, if only our culture was really like that! Sometime you luck out and find a group of people who you can talk to like that, but until that day book trailers will probably not have a place in the mainstream media.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never saw that Borders commercial. You don't have a link to it handy, do you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sadly, no. I tried to hunt it down when I was writing the above comment. Actually, I loved it so much, I tried to find it when it aired and couldn't. It was awesome. I love the spiffiness of the site and check in every day! Also, I see that you love podcasts too, and I am now listening to:
    http://readingenvy.blogspot.com/2014/01/reading-envy-podcast-001-episode-first.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the podcast recommendation! I'm always looking for new ones to follow.

    And thanks for following my blog. Do you have your own?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yup,but I focus on middle grade/teen programming. I do some other stuff, but mostly programming because there are SO many storytime blogs and not much for kids ages 6-12 or teen. At my library I am the only programmer for all patrons ages 0-18. This also explains why I read so many kid novels. LOL
    http://textnjava.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.