12.31.2014

Books on the radio

Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett's Good Omens is near the top of my list of go-to recommendations. It's hilarious and irreverent and profound, by turns and all at once. When I heard it was going to be turned into a radio play for the BBC, I got giddy. When I heard the names of some of the cast, I may have stopped breathing for a bit from sheer excitement.

Listen to all six episodes here before they disappear.

I'm not new to audiobooks, but listening to a full dramatization of a book was a novel experience. ('Scuze the pun.) I listened to most of Good Omens on my mother's couch, still trying to get over the death cold I got for Christmas. Do you know how hard it is to laugh and stifle a cough at the same time? I had to keep pausing the player so that I could replay the bits I'd missed due to the horrible noises I was making.

The dramatization captured a lot of the main plot. Like any devoted fan of the book, I wish they had managed to capture more of Pratchett and Gaiman's zany theology and history—but there's only so much time you can devote to recreating the footnotes while the world is supposed to be ending. Mark Heap as Aziraphale stands out from the cast and Peter Serafinowicz was a brilliant choice for Crowley. This really was a fantastic production.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.